Indiana Mother Dies After Drinking Too Much Water During Family Trip - 'Four Bottles in 20 Minutes'

We all know how crucial it is to stay hydrated and drink plenty of water, especially during the scorching summer days. But there's a lesser-known danger that comes with consuming too much water in a short period. It's called water toxicity, water poisoning, or water intoxication, and it can have devastating consequences.

Tragically, a mother of two in Indiana lost her life due to water intoxication. It was reported that she drank four bottles of water, about 16 ounces each, in just 20 minutes. As a result, her brain started to swell, and she was immediately taken to the hospital. Sadly, she was pronounced dead shortly after.

From Radar Online: 

Ashley Summers, 35, passed away last month shortly after returning home from a trip to the Lake Freeman reservoir with her husband and two young daughters.

Summers told her family that she felt like she “couldn’t drink enough water,” according to the New York Post, before collapsing from water intoxication.

She was reportedly rushed to IU Health Arnett Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Doctors informed Summers’ family that the 35-year-old passed away from water toxicity.

“Someone said she drank four bottles of water in 20 minutes,” Devon Miller, the deceased’s brother, told WRTV. “I mean, an average water bottle is like 16 ounces, so that was 64 ounces that she drank in a span of 20 minutes.”

“That’s half a gallon,” he added. “That’s what you’re supposed to drink in a whole day.”

Miller also revealed that his 35-year-old sister’s brain started to swell as a result of the large amount of water she consumed at Lake Freeman.

“My sister, Holly, called me, and she was just an absolute wreck,” Miller explained. “She was like: ‘Ashley is in the hospital. She has brain swelling, they don’t know what’s causing it, they don’t know what they can do to get it to go down, and it’s not looking good.’”

“It was a shock to all of us,” he continued. “When they first started talking about water toxicity. It was like this is a thing?”



My heart goes out to this poor family, and I can't imagine the pain they must be going through.

This unfortunate incident serves as a reminder that, even though staying hydrated is essential, it's crucial to moderate our water intake and avoid excessive consumption within a short time.

Let's take care of ourselves, our families, and spread awareness about the potential risks of water toxicity.

Get latest news delivered daily!

We will send you breaking news right to your inbox

© 2024
Privacy Policy